You are here

Unclaimed Fund Distribution Instructions and Forms

Request Unclaimed Funds

Unclaimed funds are funds held by the court for an owner who is entitled to the money, but who failed to claim ownership of it or did not receive it. Most unclaimed funds arise when money is distributed by the trustee to creditors pursuant to a distribution order in a bankruptcy case, but goes unclaimed by the claimants (persons or entities who are entitled to the money). These funds are paid to the court until a claimant demonstrates ownership.

Claimants who want the court to distribute unclaimed funds must:

1. Complete the following forms

Verified Petition for Payment of Unclaimed Funds (PDF)

Proposed Order for Payment of Unclaimed Funds (PDF)

AO213 Identification Form


 2. Collect the required documents

Include the proof of identity (such as a copy of a photo ID or driver’s license), of the owner of record of the unclaimed funds.

Redact information on those documents as directed in Fed. R. Bankr. P. 9037, but include the full Social Security Number (SSN) or Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) on AO213 Identification Form.


3. Submit the forms and the required documents



Mail: Attention: Finance
167 U.S. Courthouse
401 N. Market
Wichita, KS 67202


The Court will file the verified petition and the judge will review the request and take appropriate action. Claimants may confirm that the petition was received and check the status of their petition by viewing the case docket using PACER ( or CM/ECF (

For more information, contact the Financial Specialist in the Clerk’s Office at (316) 315-4186.


Search for Unclaimed Funds

An unclaimed funds public search utility is located at

To search for funds deposited with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, District of Kansas, verify KSB has been selected in the "Court" drop down box. Populate other fields, as appropriate, to narrow your search.

The unclaimed funds public search utility may also be used to search unclaimed funds records maintained in other bankruptcy courts by selecting the court name abbreviation in the drop down box. Each court maintains its own unclaimed funds records. Please contact individual bankruptcy courts for information regarding the status of and/or application procedures for release of unclaimed funds listed for that court.